- Travel in a spirit of humility and genuine desire to meet and talk with the local people.
- Be aware of the feelings of other people, thus preventing what might be offensive behavior. Remember this especially with photography.
- Cultivate the habit of listening and observing, rather than merely hearing and seeing.
- Realize that people in the country you visit often have time concepts and thought patterns different from your own. Not inferior, just different.
- Discover the enrichment that comes from seeing another way of life.
- Acquaint yourself with the local customs. Respect local customs; people will be happy to help you.
- Cultivate the habit of asking questions instead of knowing all the answers.
- Remember that you are one of thousands of visiting tourists. Do not expect special privileges.
- If you really want a home away from home, why travel?
- Spend wisely. Remember when shopping that the bargain you obtain is only possible because of the low wages paid
(From: Ithaca College – Study Abroad Program)